Calculation of the length required for furniture
Example of furniture and the lengths of fabric required.
The fabric lengths below are stated as a guide only and in a plain or faux plain fabric. If you prefer a fabric with striking patterns that you wish to position accurately, take into account the repeat of the design as stated in our product specifications.
2-seater sofa Length: 1.2 metres
Dimensions: L: 175 cm, H: 95 cm, D: 98 cm
Seat height: 44 cm
Voltaire armchair Length: 1.8 metres
Dimensions: L: 67 cm, H: 112 cm, D: 58 cm
3-seater sofa Length: 1.5 metres
Dimensions: L: 175 cm, H: 95 cm, D: 98 cm Seat height: 44 cm
Pear pouffe Length: 3 metres Dimensions: L: 80 cm, H: 80 cm, D: 70 cm
- Recovered wooden Bridge chair: 1.20 by 1.40 metres
- Bridge chair: 1.20 by 1.40 metres
- Louis Philippe chair: 1 by 1.40 metres
- Low chair: 2 by 1.40 metres
- Fireside chair: 4 by 1.4 metres
- Louis XIII chair: 1.90 by 1.40 metres
- Modern armchair: 3 by 1.40 metres
- Easy chair: 4 by 1.40 metres
- Wing-back armchair: 4.50 by 1.40 metres
- Baroque armchair: 4.50 by 1.40 metres
- Wing chair: 4.50 by 1.40 metres
Calculating required length and template:
Information regarding how to calculate the required length of fabric for an item of furniture is not easy to come across: master upholsterers keep close guard over their secrets! However, in order to calculate the length of fabric required in order to upholster or reupholster a lounge chair, there are techniques that anyone can try their hand at.
- The simplest solution is to remove the worn fabric to serve as a template when cutting the new fabric. Add a margin measuring at least 5 cm on each side.
- You can also produce a template using craft paper or silk paper:
- Begin by measuring the armchair, taking the maximum lengths for the height, width and depth, and noting them on the paper.
- Draw a square or rectangle on the paper and place it over the section of the armchair that it is intended to cover.
- Add a margin measuring at least 5 cm on each side.
- Place the paper template on top of the fabric and cut.>
In case of doubt contact us on 09 72 30 30 39 for specialist advice.